After 29 hours of driving with a stop at Niagara Falls I made it. Thank goodness my mom and brother came along so we could rotate sleeping and driving on the way! It is very beautiful out here and there is not a whole lot of flood damage. A few of the stores here were flooded out and the Kohl's and JCpenney have to rebuild. Most of the damage is west and south of where I am living. My family and I were able to sightsee, eat some lobster, and they helped me get familiar with the towns.
When I arrived I was planning on living in a historic hotel. Let's just say I opened my door to my room and starting sobbing! It was a hole in the wall with creepy people everywhere. I was also told that I would be sharing a kitchen with a few people and it turned out that the kitchen is shared with the whole youth hostel, hotel, and rental apartments. I have not gone back since but I will have to go there tomorrow to give them my key back and turn in my security deposit request form.
Since then, I feel like I should be on the television show House Hunters. I had 3 different apartment showings today.
Option 1: Holiday Inn Express and Suites, price range - way too high!
Option 2: Another hole in the wall with an intense and unprofessional property manager
Option 3: A New England style home in a picture perfect town
I ended up choosing option #3. I will be living with Nancy who is a cardiovascular surgeon at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center . She is the sweetest woman ever! I was greeted with a cup of tea and a bouquet of wildflowers that she picked for me. She lives in a gorgeous home all by herself because her daughter lives in NYC. I will be renting the upstairs of her home which includes a bedroom, 2 walk in closets, a bathroom with a shower and jacuzzi bath, and a sitting/study nook. I will share the living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room, and garage with her. Next Thursday I will move in, so until then I will be staying at a hotel.
Pretty sure I have aged about 20 years going through all of this! Thank you to all of those back home who have been huge supports and kept reassuring me that everything would work out!
I am going to enjoy myself this weekend and celebrate my housing! Boston here I come! A college friend who is a Child Life Specialist through CHaD (Children's Hospital at Dartmouth) in Manchester, NH at the outpatient clinics and I are spending the weekend together in Boston and south of Boston in a suburb with IKEA!
Ciao. Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment