Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I always knew a piece of my heart would remain on the East Coast...

One year later and I'm back...

Ever since I decided I wanted to become a Child Life Specialist, people would continually ask me the same question - "What is a Child Life Specialist?"and it would be followed by - "Where do you want to work?". I would always reply with the same response: "A Child Life Specialist is someone who works with pediatric patients and families primarly in children's hospitals to normalize the hospital experience through procedure preparation, distraction, play therapy, and provide psychosocial, emotional, and bereavement support. My next answer would be - "Ideally, I would love to work at a large well known children's hospital on the East Coast." 

After graduating college last December I took 5 months to study for my Certification exam and start the job hunt. I successfully passed my exam in Washington D.C in May! After my exam, I accepted a 4 month CCLS (Certified Child Life Specialist) position at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, WI in the Emergency Department to gain experience. I absolutely loved my job there! The amount of experience I gained and the exposure to different things such as traumas, injuries, and illnesses was mind boggling. When my position ended, it was bittersweet but I knew that I needed to continue to pursue my dreams and move outside of my Wisconsin comfort zone. After traveling to the East Coast on numerous occasions and living in New Hampshire/Vermont during my Child Life internship, I had a feeling that the perfect opportunity was waiting for me somewhere along the Atlantic and I guess I was right.

On Monday I will be starting my first day at Geisinger Medical Center/Janet Weis Children's Hospital in the Susquehanna Valley of eastern Pennsylvania. I will be the first CCLS that is apart of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Team. Most of my day will be spent in the Peds Orthopaedic Clinic. I will be also be following/supporting patients who need fracture reductions, bone re-setting, and joint aspirations in a sedation area. The ortho clinic also has their own casting room and X-ray suite which is very convenient.

It just so happens that my best friend from college, Katie, is also a CCLS at Janet Weis Children's Hospital. Katie works in the Peds outpatient hematology/oncology and GI clinics. She started working in May, moved into an adorable 2 story, 2 bedroom condo, in a town called Selinsgrove. I moved in with her this past weekend and it feels like our college years all over again. It has made the move and transition much easier. We are already planning lots of trips, sightseeing adventures, and plotting out what meals we should make for dinner. Tonight we are headed to State College, PA to go to the Zac Brown Band concert at Penn State university. Super excited!! This weekend we are going to drive 40 minutes south to the Harrisburg area and stop at an Amish farmer's market to pick up pumpkins to carve and spend the afternoon in Hershey, PA at chocolate world and the outlet malls. 

More to come soon... 
With love, 
Sarah XO


No comments:

Post a Comment