Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happy Saturday

I can't believe the weekend is already half over! This week could not have gone by any faster! 

My new rotation is going really well! The hematology/oncology team is absolutely amazing and I love working with them! This week has been really busy with new cancer diagnosis' and lots of kids have weak immune systems this time of year. I go in between hem/onc outpatient clinic, which is where some kids come for a day chemo treatment, blood draws, check ups, etc. and then between hem/onc patients who are on our inpatient floor who might have a fever, receiving scheduled chemo, or are pre/post bone marrow/stem cell transplant. 

On Wednesday, my two professors, Katie and Lois were here visiting me. It was so great to see them! Katie who is a child life specialist at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison and is the child life teaches most of the child life classes at Edgewood previously worked at Children's Hospital at Dartmouth. She was excited to be back and visit with old friends! Lois who is a child life icon (other people in the field have her autograph chapters in our textbooks that she has written) and started the Edgewood child life program was really excited to see a new hospital! They spent the day touring around with me, talking to my supervisors, and we managed to squeeze in some shopping in downtown Hanover. We ended our day by going out to dinner and gelato!

Thursday, I visited a private play therapy office in Hanover and met with the therapist. She happens to be our pediatric hem/onc section chief's wife and we refer many of our patients to her. Her whole practice is based on play and she assesses, provides therapy, and resolves issues all through play. It was quite amazing and I have never seen so many different play objects in one room! Even adults seen her for this type of therapy which I found to be really interesting! 

Finally it is the weekend! It feels so good to relax and not have to worry about a thing! Well kind of... 
Today I did a bunch of errands - got my oil changed in my car, (first time ever by myself - my dad always brought it in for me before, I feel like such an adult now! ) went grocery shopping, did laundry, cleaned my room, and now I'm going to go to the gym! Tonight I plan on finishing a good book I'm currently reading and curling up to watch a movie! Tomorrow I am going to just hang around the house and watch some football! Gotta love Sundays! 

I hope everyone is having a good weekend! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment